Monday, June 29, 2015

Goodbye Kalkaska

                                                                                                                                  June 29, 2015
I got the news this week that I will be getting transferred to Mt. Pleasant, MI. I was thinking I was going to leave but once I got the call it really hit me how much I love it here in Kalkaska. It is a special place and has a really special branch. I loved every second of being here! This week we also had the baptism for Tyrone Shauan. It was amazing and he's such a stud! There were a few highlights of the week:

• Ty's baptism was great! We had to get to the church super early to get the font filled but everything came together for it. I was able to baptize him which was a wonderful experience for me to be able to perform that ordinance for him. There were also a lot of members from the branch there to support him. Ty was baptized 20 days after we first met him. It was such a miracle! After he was confirmed yesterday and we all raised the right arm to welcome him, he turned around and said, "Thank you, God bless you." He's so great! Leading up, on Thursday, he had us over for ribs. They were a slug between the teeth! He knows how to whip up some ribs! He also fed us some stuffed burgers yesterday that were also off the hook. Another way to know he's something special is that I actually like his dog. ME! It's an american bulldog, and such a sweet dog. He's going with Bro. Chowhan to visit some less-actives on Tuesday and can't wait to get the Melchizedek Priesthood. I've never met someone so prepared!

• Elder Allred and I did a lot of door knocking this week but weren't seeing too much success from it. However, we have total faith that the Lord will bless us with miracles as we remain obedient and diligent. Kalkaska is in for some awesome miracles!

• Another cool miracle has been our Bible Study/dinner we go to at Virginia's nephew, Dennis' house. Virginia lives with her niece, Trudy, and about 6 months ago she wouldn't even let the missionaries in her house to teach Virginia but we've built a really good relationship with her and as we were leaving Bible Study she said, "I'm going to have to give you a hug." I, of course, had to shut her down but she has come so far and her heart has softened so much. I'm really excited to see where she goes. :) 

• Saying goodbye to Rich Mason was pretty sad. We really grew close together. He told us how when we met him he had been really depressed and was letting himself die from malnourishment. But since we've met him and been teaching him he's getting a lot better. He has told us a few times that we saved his life. I feel like Rich is one of those people I came on my mission specifically for. 

• Saying goodbye to everyone this week was so sad. I didn't realize how much I came to love it here. The Kalkaska branch has some of the greatest people under the sun! I was asked to bear my testimony in sacrament meeting. I testified of the truthfulness of the Gospel and that I know it's true because of the blessings that have come to me as I've lived it. It came to me that I've never been this happy in my life. It's all because I'm doing my very best to keep the commandments and I'm giving all that I have in the service of the Lord. It never gets better than that! Never...

• I again feel like I'm leaving home. I have grown to love so many people here, from the service I've done with and for them. A piece of my heart will always be here with the great people of Kalkaska, Michigan.

Once again, a mission is and always will be about the people you serve and how you help them to accept and learn to more fully embrace and live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is the foundation of any good relationship and of any happy life. This is the work of the Lord and this is what this life is all about. "Shall we not go on in so great a cause..."

Love,
Elder Chalmers

I forgot to mention... I got attacked by a dog for the first time this week! It was an english bulldog that tried to bite my ankle but luckily missed, then it came after me again so I took a few swings at it with my only weapon, my Book of Mormon, and we got away safely. The owner was equally mad at the dog and us for coming on her property. The lady across the street got a kick out of it at least. My heart was pounding for 30 min. But I'm safe! :) Everyone have a great week!
me and Rich Mason

Elder Allred and me with the Cadillac elders...

The District (the one of the left is my new comp)

Me and Morgan, don't ever plan on seeing a picture like this again...

Ty's baptism!

The Kalkaska Branch

The Robinson family (He's the Branch Pres.)

The Chowhan's

Ty, Morgan and me

Bible Study Group!

Virginia, my fist bump buddy

And last but not least, The Famous Steve and Joy Cole


No comments:

Post a Comment