Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Last week in Big Rapids then on to Kalkaska...




TRANSFERRED!                                                                                                        Feb. 24, 2015
Hey everybody, I'm e-mailing a day late, because I got transferred! I'm e-mailing you today from snowy Kalkaska, Michigan! This was a good week though! To be honest, right now I don't really remember much, but I will do my best. :)

Monday: Last monday we went to Greenville and had a district P-Day playing Risk and basketball. It was really fun. For FHE we cut out hearts and went around putting them on people's doors and door bell ditching them. It was fun stuff. :) 

Tuesday: We had correlation at Bro. Hunt's. We also had some hot chocolate with John Montgomery. He's the guy who likes to have us over, and also the Jehovah's witnesses. So we talked with him for a little bit. Then we were on campus. We had an awesome lesson with Justin. We finished teaching the Plan of Salvation, and put him on date to be baptized. He walks everywhere, and we offered to get him a ride to church and he said, "The cold never bothered me anyway..." It was hilarious. We had dinner with the Lillywhites.

Wednesday: We had district meeting in Big Rapids. The Zone leaders also came. It was really good. We talked about how the Holy Ghost usually works as just a thought and if we are living worthily, it will be the first thought. We had lunch at the FSU campus cafeteria, it was really good stuff. ha. We then helped Bro. Thompson cut wood then met with Chantice and read the BOM with her. We went to see Shade and his brother, Ivory who just got baptized in a different ward was there, he was really cool. We had dinner at the McClures, which was great as usual.

Thursday: We spent a lot of time on campus today and also knocking doors. It was SO COLD! We worked hard though and were proud. :) We had dinner at the Williams and went through the Plan of Salvation with Sis. Williams. It was cool. 

Friday: Today we got our Transfer call... I was in the bathroom and Elder Laing yelled, "Get out here now!" So Pres. Jacobsen first told Elder Laing he was staying and would be comps with Elder Olsen, then he told me I was going to Kalkaska with Elder Houser and that I would be the district leader... While Elder Green was telling us our travel arrangements I was shaking pretty bad. ha. I started packing during lunch and we did weekly planning. We spent time on campus, my last PC-ing. :( Then we taught Sis. Tucker and had dinner with Larry and watched Bible Videos. He's a stud!

Saturday: We walked all day! We knocked and met some cool people. We had lunch with Sis. Milton and knocked some more. We met with Gabe. He's a stud as well. Today was fun. 

Sunday: Church got cancelled today! The building flooded yesterday so we spent the whole day visiting people. It was fun, but also really sad. I love it in Big Rapids. We got offered to be fed for like 6 meals. ha. We settled for 3. :) 

Monday: Today when we left Big Rapids it was -22. We drove to Grand Rapids then I got on the transfer van to Lansing. I saw Elder Rapp! I love him. Then we went to Mt. Pleasant and I saw Elder Hess there! We drove with some recent converts, the Piattes. We had Ponderosa for lunch and finally made it to Kalkaska. I live in a house here, it's literally a house! :) We met the Branch Pres. then had dinner with the Piattes. 

I'm exited to get to be here in Kalkaska. It has had a lot of success this past year and has a lot of great people here. 

My spiritual thought was what I included about the Holy Ghost. He usually speaks to us in a simple thought and as we act on it we will be able to recognize how he works and how he can help us in our lives. I like the verse, John 7:17,  "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine." Make sure you are living worthy of the beautiful gift of the Holy Ghost and he will guide, protect, strengthen and comfort you!

I love you all and I love serving as a Michiganary!

Love,
Elder Chalmers

Me with the McClure/Hardbarger Family (AJ & Ryan)

The Hunt Family and me

Justin and me











This week flew by! It was a good one though! :)                                                     Feb. 16, 2015

Monday: After e-mailing, we drove up to Reed City to play games and teach our new investigators, The Simmons. Their kids are members and live in Cadillac. So we get there, and to my surprise, Elder Hess was there! They got approved to come down with the kids so we had dinner and I got to spend the evening with him. It was great to see him! :) The lesson went okay, there were 6 missionaries so it was a little too much, but it still went well.

Tuesday: Today we spent time on campus. We also had a lesson with a new investigator named James Hurst. He committed to be baptized! He had even done an online quiz on the Book of Mormon since we last met with him and said, "I failed." ha. We also taught Justin the Plan of Salvation. It was sweet, he really takes time to think about his responses to our questions and we had a great lesson with him. He's a stud. We then ate pizza with Larry and watched Bible Videos.

Wednesday: Today we spent A LOT of time on campus. I was talking to a girl who is in charge of the student Christian organization. It was annoying because she just kept bringing up things that she strongly disagreed with, with our doctrine, and it really bothered me. I love having religious conversations but not when people aren't at all open minded... :/ We had a great lesson with Chantice. We had Wyatt come with us and he is a great teacher and invited her to church for us and it was just perfect! :) We had dinner at the McClures... it was "a slug between the teeth." They made deer meet, biscuits and gravy, grilled potatoes and peach cobbler... So good! 

Thursday: We met with a guy named Issa who is a muslim and he educated us on it. It was really interesting stuff. He was cool. We also shared with him about our church then we did our weekly planning. Following that, we had a lot of people cancel on us so we knocked for a little bit. We had dinner at the Williams and had another awesome conversation with them about obedience and the gospel. It was great!

Friday: Today we had trade-offs. I was with Elder Raun in Greenville. We went to see a less-active there and I told her I was from Big Rapids and she said, "You're heaven sent!" She has a friend in Big Rapids that needs somebody to talk to...then "coincidentally" her friend, Rose called while we were there, so I talked to her and set up an appt. with her. :) Then we knocked for a few hours. That was COLD! My feet went completely numb but we still had fun. We picked up a new investigator and taught her, it was really cool. Then Elder Raun bought a couple of pizzas and we both ate a whole one. :) Elder Raun is 6 foot 6, and a big boy, so I was proud of myself. ha. 

Saturday: We were supposed to spend the whole day in Grand Rapids because Elder Nash of the Seventy was coming to speak to us, but they cancelled it, due to the weather so Elder Raun and I went to try and see some potentials, and the weather was crazy! The wind was blowing like crazy! We traded back and went to see Bro. Krome. He told us all about being a Navy Seal, it was crazy. After that we went to see the Fairchilds. His wife is from China and has only been here for 3 years. She cooked us dinner, it was so good. She made the tomatoes and egg dish that I loved when I was in China in 2010! :) 

Sunday: I wrote my talk that I was was asked to give then we had Branch council. We had 4 investigators at church! It was awesome! I spoke on "Love in the Family" and talked about how serving others and also serving God, can allow us to have more love in our families. It went well. Elder Laing also spoke then we drove to Fremont and from there drove to Wyoming, MI to see Elder Nash. It was so good. A few cool things he said are, 
"Considering all the blessings the Gospel has given you, a mission is the least you can do." and he told us how "we need to have more Gospel conversations, not just 'lessons.'"

He was awesome. I loved it. He was so powerful and inspiring. I also got to see Elder Finlayson and Sister Cornia! Midland reunion!

My spiritual thought for today comes from Elder Nash. One thing he told us to do is to "think about the doctrines & principles, then get on your knees." I really loved it and I would challenge each of you to think about how that applies to you. The doctrine, is "the why" of the gospel and the principle is "the how" of the gospel. Look at your life and certain doctrine and ask yourself, why and then how you can apply that into your life and take it to the Lord. This life is all about making progress. This is a way that can help.

I love you all so much!

Love,
Elder Chalmers
All For the Picture!

GQ Elders

The District

No comments:

Post a Comment