Thursday, June 12, 2014

And so it begins...

FIRST P-DAY!!                                                                                     JUNE 12, 2014

I don't even know where to begin. This past week has been nuts. I never thought I would learn so much, but looks like I did. We do a lot of studying here. Like after breakfast almost everyday we study for 3-4 hours both as a district, personally, and as a companionship. I love my whole zone especially Elder Chee and Elder Moss. Elder Chee is a Navajo and his name is Samuel, he is like my Sam Slivers away from home. Whenever he does something I call it the Chee guarantee! ha. Elder Moss is 22 and is from Washington. We talk about SNL all the time, its some fun times. Too bad both of them are going to Baltimore. We started teaching the day after we got here. Right now we are teaching Jay, who is really our teacher Brother McNiven acting like some one he taught on his mission. On our third lesson with him he just said he wanted to be baptized at the beginning of the lesson, which kinda threw us off, it was funny though. We also have our TRC investigator, Ben. All of the people at the TRC are paid to let us teach them. But some of them aren't actually Mormon, its kinda weird, but really cool. Ben is really into Crossfit, so I have something to talk to him about, but Elder Adams has no idea what's going on. haha. I love him to death.
So I am Zone Leader, and that meant that yesterday we had to do orientation for the new missionaries. All of them are going to Salt Lake City Central mission, except for two are going to San Antonio. The district that just left was awesome though. They are going to Minnesota. Elder Boekweg was hilarious. So were Elder Knaphus and Young. Elder Lowe was pretty quiet, and he was like 6 foot 8. Eric Mika is here. I sat next to him during our Zone leader training. We were just talking and joking around, it was pretty cool. I have seen Weston Esplin, Nate Gottfredson, Zach Kennedy, Braxton kunde, Sydnee Yates, Daniel Jones, and Michael Coleman. Weston and I sat next to each other in the choir for the Tuesday devotional where Quentin L. Cook spoke. I really liked when he told us to not get discouraged if we feel like we aren't capable. It is so true. Often times you feel like you can't teach well enough, but you just have to remember that it is really the spirit teaching, not you. 
Our gym time is in the morning most days, so I usually play basketball. When I was playing yesterday this elder who played high school ball at Mountain Crest asked me if I played high school ball and said I was pretty good, so I felt pretty cool.
The first week was pretty tough, but once I got to Sunday, it was all good. It is still hard, but I honestly love it here. I can't wait to get to Michigan, but I don't want to leave all of the friends I've made. 
My favorite part of the day is definately 9:30- 10:30. It is when us elders just get to have a party. We have a zone dance and handshake that the other elders who just left taught us. It is pretty sweet and we do it all the time. We just joke around and stuff. The night before the other elders left we had a competition to see who would get to keep the district box, full of treats and stuff, the other Baltimore district beat us in a push-up contest. Elder Chee put the guarentee on it...
I love all you guys and love hearing from you, If you want some serious inspiration on faith read Ether 12.
Love, 
Elder Chalmers
P.S. HE LOVE!!!



HELLO! FROM THE MTC                                                                   JUNE 7, 2014

We were given special permission to e-mail you guys today! Usually my P-day will be on Thursday, but I only get one P-Day while I'm here. I just want you to know that I'm going great and all is well. The first day and night here were the worst ever. I just missed you guys and really wanted to go home and keep living my life but ever since then the days have gotten better and better. I really like my companion, His name is Elder Adams. He is from North Ogden and is 19. We don't really have the same interests at all but we get along really well. He is really knowledgable about the Gospel, which is just an added bonus. I have already learned so much from being here. Our days are jam-packed. We actually did get a little free-time this morning though. We lucked out and got the easiest service assignment, which is setting up chairs, then we decided to just get a sack breakfast so we didn't have to dress in our church clothes to get into the cafeteria, which gave us and hour and a half of free time. I was able to write a letter to Rylee, and I also wrote you guys a letter on the first day, which I put in the mail this morning so be looking for it. I miss you guys a lot but I know that I'm here for a reason. I really can't wait to get to Michigan so I can start teaching, but I have lots to learn still. We are actually teaching a progressive investigator right now, which is just our teacher acting like someone he taught on his mission, but it's cool how he can just change like that. We got him to semi-commit to baptism on the first lesson, which was pretty cool. We leave for Michigan on the 18th. Our flight leaves at 8:45, for Minneapolis, so I think I will be able to call before my first flight, or maybe even during our layover in Minneapolis, but our layover isn't long at all. Elder Adams and I are the zone leaders starting Sunday, which is pretty cool. Our zone includes our district and one other one. All of the people in the other district are going to Baltimore, they are pretty sweet. My whole district is going to Lansing. There is Elder Adams and I. Then Elder Lowder, who is from Boise and is 24 years old! Elder Erekson is my age, I will send you a picture on Thursday of him, he reminds me a lot of Josh Dame. Then we have a threesome of sisters. Sister Lindemann, Brewer, and Guest. They are all really nice. I love and miss you guys and loved all the e-mails and pictures you sent me. I will have more time to write on Thursday. I LOVE!!!

Love, 
Elder Chalmers

No comments:

Post a Comment